Monday, January 24, 2011

Part 3

*TMI Warning still in place*


So this is my favorite “part” of the story... I mean, it does end with Wyatt in my arms =)

When I was fully dilated Dad and Chandler left the room to go roam the halls. Tyler and my mom were my leg holders and “push coaches.” I am SO thankful that I got the labor nurse that I did, she was awesome! Before I started pushing, she sat down with Tyler and mom and me and explained how it would work. She said she would be watching the monitor and let me know at the start of a contraction. My coaches would help hold my legs as I pulled up on them. She described the pushing process as taking a deep breath in, diving into a pool and swimming all the way across the pool under water… I was to “come up for air” as I needed and then bear down and push. She said she doesn’t like to count like you often see because she just wanted me to push as long as I could every time. And then described a little about the process of Wyatt making his way down the birth canal and how all that works. We were all ready!

12:25 PM = Showtime!

I loved the illustration she used about diving into the pool. At the start of each contraction, I pictured myself on the edge of the pool. Took a deep breath in, “swam” (pushed) as long as I could, came up for air (breathed out and took another breath in), and “swam” again for as long as I could, ect…. LOL Each contraction was 3 sets of pushing. It worked really well for me. All the while my coaches were cheering me along =)

In between pushes we all just relaxed and talked. Tyler and mom had me cracking up and the nurse joined right in with us. Dr. Baird came in to check on me at one point and said, “You’re not even sweating! I want to see some sweat!” haha He did a couple contractions with me except he had me doing 4 or even 5 sets of pushes per contraction! Man, he was really making me word hard, lol. I was determined to be sweating the next time he came to check on me… I was… well, a little bit. Lol

The reason I was pushing for 2 hours was because for some reason my contractions realllly slowed down. So sometimes we were waiting 5-7 minutes in between contractions. When Dr. Baird came in again at 1:40 and realized this, he had the nurse run a little bit of Pitocin through my IV in an effort to keep the contractions coming and “get this baby out of here.” He worked through a few more pushes with me.

Shortly after that, a bunch of nurses came filing in… setting everything up for delivery. They looked like a bunch of busy bees =) The Dr. got all his “gear” on and at this point I knew we were getting close. Of course the hardest pushing was right at the end… mom was so excited, “Jenna! I can see him! You’re so close!” And Tyler was my #1 cheerleader just like he always is =) Together they were so, so awesome!

The end was just amazing… I felt no pain, yet I could still “feel.” My epidural was just the perfect amount. At 2:25 pm I could literally feel his head push through and then the rest of his body slide out… absolutely incredible. Nothing will ever compare to it.

However, then it did take the Dr. a minute to get him up on my chest as he noticed the issue with his intestine/umbilical cord right away and he had to be careful where Tyler cut the cord. Tyler was able to cut the cord though and I got to hold him very briefly, but did not get to do skin-to-skin or start breastfeeding.











He was taken over to the warmer for the rest of his assessments and the Doctors were called to look at him.

It was immediately decided that he would be transported to Wolfson’s Children’s Hospital downtown. We were able to hold him one last time before they took him to get ready for transport =(








He was gone by 4:45.



Praise the Lord, we all know this story still has a happy ending!!



"Every good and perfect gift is from above..." James 1:17

As crazy as it sounds, I loved giving birth. It was just such an incredible feeling (the whole labor and delivery process) and such an amazing thing to experience. There’s nothing more special and I am so very thankful I had a wonderful birthing experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Pages

About Me

Hi, I'm Jenna! Wife of 9 years to my high school sweetheart, Tyler, and stay-at-home mama to our 3 year old, Wyatt, and 1 year old foster daughter. I blog about our extra-ordinary days to keep family updated and because I enjoy journaling and documenting the things that bring me joy... faith, family, and friends!

Followers

Designed By:

Munchkin Land Designs Elements by Lisete
 
Designed by Munchkin Land Designs • Copyright 2012 • All Rights Reserved