Sunday, February 26, 2012

Lent

A little different of a post than the usual Wyatt updates... but, I've been thinking a lot about Lent lately since we are now in the Lenten season of the church year. Lent began this past Wednesday and it includes the 40 days preceding Easter. It signifies the 40 days that Jesus fasted and prayed in the wilderness (and was tempted by the devil).  Matthew 4:1-11 Traditionally in the church, people would fast from meat. Nowadays, to observe Lent, people "fast" from just about anything! Soda, sugar, candy, TV, internet, certain types of music, certain activities, etc. I personally have always enjoyed this time in the church year. Every year, I try to "give something up" but I don't think I've ever actually followed through with the entire 40 days, nor have I allowed the "fast" to fulfill its purpose of drawing closer to God.

I think I have some extra motivation this year having just completed Beth Moore's powerful and convicting bible study, "James: Mercy Triumphs." This study has inspired me to take on the most challenging bible memorization task I have ever done. So while in the midst of that and with Lent just beginning, this year I decided to give up Facebook. I know, I know.... it sounds kind of silly. But if I'm being honest, I spent way to much time of Facebook throughout the day. And giving up Facebook really kind of resembles the "internet" as a whole. It had just become a "habit" to check my FB rather than something I needed to do. So on Wednesday I disabled my Facebook account and just 4 days into it I have spent way less time online.. imagine that, lol. So that is my "fast." I am trying to spend more time in the Bible and particularly working on memorization (something I just started this year after not doing it for much too long now!)

I see Lent as a time to set aside distraction, just one of many that we have in our lives, to focus on all that God has done for us. It's not so much a religious ritual as it is just preparing our hearts to once again be in awe of what Jesus accomplished for us on the cross. Fasting from something of this world to remind of us that we are sinful, flawed, and imperfect. While we know our sins are forgiven and we will spend eternity in heaven, we constantly have to humble ourselves and turn back to Him. I'm reminded of the hymn (Come Thou Fount of Every Blessing) that says, "Prone to wander, Lord I feel it. Prone to leave the God I love." .... We do wander, we go astray, we doubt, and we forget to Whom we belong. Lent is a time to "sacrifice" so we can be reminded of the ultimate sacrifice. When we take time to reflect on how much we really do need a Savior, we can truly celebrate the victory in that glorious Easter morning!

So those are just my current thoughts on Lent and what I am doing this year =) I'm going to post something Lent related every Sunday until Easter.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Pages

About Me

Hi, I'm Jenna! Wife of 9 years to my high school sweetheart, Tyler, and stay-at-home mama to our 3 year old, Wyatt, and 1 year old foster daughter. I blog about our extra-ordinary days to keep family updated and because I enjoy journaling and documenting the things that bring me joy... faith, family, and friends!

Followers

Designed By:

Munchkin Land Designs Elements by Lisete
 
Designed by Munchkin Land Designs • Copyright 2012 • All Rights Reserved