Friday, May 13, 2011

Carrots Are For Rabbits.. and Wyatt!

I had to buy a bag of carrots for a casserole I made, so I figured I'd test out my new Beaba Babycook for the first time and make a batch of carrots! I first read about making babyfood homemade when I was pregnant and reading everything baby related I could get my hands on :) My friend I graduated high school with, Jamie (at The Policastros), had a baby girl shortly before I found out I was pregnant. She made Karlie's baby food using the Beaba and convinced me I had to have one for this endeavor! I also have another good friend, Erin, who is expecting her 3rd in November! She was asking me about the babycook so I figured I'd do a post on my first run with it :)

OK, so first you chop up the fruit/veggie/whatever and toss it in! I did 3 or 4 carrots, can't remember, because I didn't want to overfill it but I definitely could have done even more! And you pour some water into that compartment on the left.





Then, you turn it on to steam it! Here they are steaming...




10-15 minutes later you have steamed carrots, all nice and soft...


Next, you pour them out of that little steaming basket they are in, directly into the bowl and you puree them!




And, VIOLA! You have baby food!




Fresh carrots with no preservatives, fillers, or additives... Homemade baby food has more vitamins and nutrients because it does not undergo the high pressure/heating process the jarred baby food does.



So next, you want to freeze it! Here I am spooning it into freeze containers I got at Babies R Us awhile back when I saw them on sale....




(Yes, I am wearing sweats... in May... in Texas. We got a cold front the weekend I did this.. crazy! And please don't mind my lovely bald spot. I am pleased to say that my hair finally stopped falling out, haha)




You're left with your dirty dishes which can all be tossed in the dishwasher!




You label them and into the freezer they go! Preferably no more than 3 months :) You can thaw out the servings in the fridge the day before you plan on feeding them to baby or right before the feeding just run it under water and warm in the microwave. To thin out the consistency just add formula (or water).




I had so much fun doing this the first time. I'm sure the excitement of it will wear off :) But it's so easy and I am glad I invested in this nifty machine.


And here's my little man being silly in his high chair.... we got this high chair at one of my baby showers, I love it. Right now it is reclined, but it also sits straight up and of course has a tray too. Then you can take the "infant" seat off the base and the bottom is a booster seat for when he is older. We haven't started baby food YET, planning on starting next week at 5 months old. And in case you didn't hear.... he cut his first tooth yesterday!! I tried getting a picture but it's been impossible, lol. As soon as I can photograph it, you'll see it :)



No comments:

Post a Comment

Pages

About Me

Hi, I'm Jenna! Wife of 9 years to my high school sweetheart, Tyler, and stay-at-home mama to our 3 year old, Wyatt, and 1 year old foster daughter. I blog about our extra-ordinary days to keep family updated and because I enjoy journaling and documenting the things that bring me joy... faith, family, and friends!

Followers

Designed By:

Munchkin Land Designs Elements by Lisete
 
Designed by Munchkin Land Designs • Copyright 2012 • All Rights Reserved