Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Help!

My devotion this morning was so awesome I just wanted to take a few minutes and write about it :) The passage was from Nehemiah 2:1-18 with the focus being on verse 4. Nehemiah is a cupbearer for the king and was expected to always be cheerful in the king's presence. This particular day, Nehemiah was sad as he was thinking about the destruction in Jerusalem. In verse 2, the king asks him why he looks sad and it says that Nehemiah was "very much afraid" (that the king had noticed). The king goes on to say, "What is it you want?" (Nehemiah wanted to ask the king if he would grant him permission to go and rebuild the walls of Jerusalem) and Nehemiah writes, "Then I prayed to the God of heaven."

We don't know whether Nehemiah was relieved to finally have an opportunity to ask this of the king or if he was afraid! Either way, I am sure he was very anxious. But he "prayed to the God of heaven" and then asks the king if he may leave to rebuild the walls of Jerusalem. The devotion talks about how this is one of the most spontaneous prayers in the Bible. Nehemiah's first reaction was to call upon God. (The king did allow him to go)

Which leads me to ask myself, Do I respond in the same way in my own life?.... whether I encounter a scary situation that causes worry to rise up inside of me or recieve good news that makes me rejoice... is it my first reaction to turn to God and pray? Does it come as natural as breathing? To which I have to answer no. I often take my focus off of Him. I allow the worry to turn to fear instead of casting my cares on Him (Psalm 55:22). I don't always give thanks when God deserves all the praise (1 Thess. 5:18).

The devotion goes on to mention 1 Thess. 5:17 which says "Pray continually" (I think I can memorize that one ;) ).. Now, of course I know what continually means, but sometimes it gives a lot more meaning to verses to look up the definition of words.. so that's what I did.

Continually - very often, at regular or frequent intervals, habitually. without intermission, unceasingly, always.

For me, that helps me "visualize" a little easier what it looks like to lead a life of continual prayer.. to be in a constant state of communion with the Almighty. Wow. How much more would I feel the presence of God in my life if I made it a habit to pray. I sure have a habit of drinking coffee every morning, without even thinking about it I wake up, get out of bed, and stumble to start the coffee pot before my eyes are even open ;) lol (slight exaggeration) =) But you get the point.

This devotion was so timely as we are 3 days away from embarking on the biggest transition we have had as a couple, and now a family! At the end of the devotion there is a quote that says "Never be afraid to trust an unknown future to a known God." (Corrie ten Boom) Our future has never been more unknown ... but I am choosing to trust... and pray!

1 comment:

  1. I love this devotion Jenna! Isn't it awesome how God speaks to us just at the right moment. Trust in Him and everything will be just fine.
    Tyler

    ReplyDelete

Pages

About Me

Hi, I'm Jenna! Wife of 9 years to my high school sweetheart, Tyler, and stay-at-home mama to our 3 year old, Wyatt, and 1 year old foster daughter. I blog about our extra-ordinary days to keep family updated and because I enjoy journaling and documenting the things that bring me joy... faith, family, and friends!

Followers

Designed By:

Munchkin Land Designs Elements by Lisete
 
Designed by Munchkin Land Designs • Copyright 2012 • All Rights Reserved