Wednesday, December 22, 2010

Feeding Update

I wish my next blog (after the last one being a 39.5 week pregnancy update) was Wyatt's birth announcement! But life doesn't always go as planned so unforunately, this post is going to be an update on his progress in the NICU. I will have to back track later on with the labor and delivery story =)

We did spend time with Wyatt yesterday after I was discharged, but I feel like most of the updating has really just begun today. So here we go....

After the surgery, he needed to have 3 poopy diapers before they could take the NG tube out (the one that goes to his stomach). He had his 3 poopies (actually 4), so they took out his NG tube this morning!! He was then able to start feeding with a bottle. We happened to go up to visit him today shortly before his first ever bottle! We got there at 12:45 and his first feed was at 2:00. The bottle had 1 ounce of Infilite (like Pedialite for infants). The requirement is for him to drink the bottle within 30 minutes.
*sidenote - babies with this type of complication/procedure OFTEN form food aversions and have a VERY difficult time with feedings. They want feedings to be an enjoyable time so they learn to want to eat, not something that has to be forced upon them. So they take it very slow in the beginning and make sure he is not fighting it. Therefore, if he does not finish the ounce within 30 minutes, the rest of it is fed to him back through the NG tube. Also if he is choking, or just spitting it all up, the tube goes back in*
Well, the first feeding (split up between the nurse and me)... he finished in 5 minutes!! No choking, no spitting up, and he even burped for us =) YAY baby boy! We were so happy.

Tyler did the 2nd feeding of Infilite. He fed really well for his daddy. Finished it in 10 minutes with no choking. Burped again too. However, about 10 minutes later when I was holding him, he did spit up. We called a nurse (not his) over and I handed her the burp cloth that I caught it in and she said, "Oh, that wasn't to bad." Me and Tyler were both really worried all of a sudden though. But then his nurse came back and reassured us it was no biggie. So then we felt better. =)

From now on, he gets to have breast milk via bottle! Same things apply.. he has 30 minutes to drink the designated amount otherwise he has to get fed through the tube. I did have colostrum that I pumped from the first 48 hours. However, my milk hasn't come in yet and I am not getting anything else to give to them right now so after he eats the "liquid gold" =), they will start supplementing with formula. Unfortunately, we will not be there tonight for his feeding when he starts with what we had frozen for him. We will call later and see how he ate it.

I know I have some awesome prayer warriors out there asking what they can pray for and am so glad we have very specific requests now:
1) Most important, that Wyatt does not get the food/feeding aversion that is SO common in babies with his specific complication.
2) He eats his bottles within the 30 minutes and is not choking or fighting the feed so that the NG tube does NOT have to go back in.
3) His wet/dirty diapers will be what they are looking for (they have to weigh all his dirty diapers)
4) His weight gain stays on track.
5) He is starting to develop jaundice... just pray it doesn't get to bad.
6) That my milk comes in! (Yes, I am continuing to pump around the clock, drinking lots of water, eating fruits and veggies, ect.)

1 comment:

  1. Jenna! This is wonderful! We will be praying he continues to eat like a champ and that his bilirubin levels get lower and stay that way! We love you three! Give Wyatt a hug from the Policastros!

    ReplyDelete

Pages

About Me

Hi, I'm Jenna! Wife of 9 years to my high school sweetheart, Tyler, and stay-at-home mama to our 3 year old, Wyatt, and 1 year old foster daughter. I blog about our extra-ordinary days to keep family updated and because I enjoy journaling and documenting the things that bring me joy... faith, family, and friends!

Followers

Designed By:

Munchkin Land Designs Elements by Lisete
 
Designed by Munchkin Land Designs • Copyright 2012 • All Rights Reserved