Tuesday, December 28, 2010

The first 48 hours...

Through the eyes of Tyler...

What day is it??? Where am I??? Have I slept any yet???

Yes, those three questionS sum up my last 48 hours. Without a doubt, I now have an absolute grasp on the "exhaustion" that everyone warned me about. I'm pretty sure someone stole my entire life and I think I know who it is...WYATT!

First, my usual promptness and timeliness is severely being strained, I seriously didn't know what day it was when I woke up this morning. Luckily for me, I have a natural ability to stay organized in the most choatic environments, which has saved my sanity with regards to the old "tick tock".

Second, what has happened to my house??? I mean seriously, is this my home or someone else's? Oh ya, it's Wyatt's house now, complete with bottles everywhere, pack n play cribs, rocking chairs, and dirty baby clothes piling up quickly. This doesn't resemble my usual military clean and organized home that I am so used to having. So far, I have made a valiant attempt at keeping it somewhat presentable for the occasional visitor, but I don't know how much longer I can hang in there. In short, I sold my house to my infant in exchange for an endless love supply.

Third, sleep? sleep! SLEEP!?! I've been sleep deprived before, Marine Corps Boot Camp, combat, and a handful of late night excursions with the boys. None of which compare to the last 48 hours. At least in my previous experiences, I knew I was going to be up for a long time and was prepared for it. In this case, there isn't any preparing for when "he" wants to be awake. He'll be asleep for two hours then awake for 30 minutes or the opposite; awake for two hours and asleep for 30 minutes, all at random. I think he's just enjoying pestering me right at the moment I fall asleep. I'll get ya back boy, one day you're gonna want some wheels to cruise in, lol.

All joking aside, I'm loving every minute of my life right now and I'm so thankful God has blessed me so abundantly with such an awesome son and wife.

Through the eyes of Jenna...

Well, I now know what the cliche statements, "Your life is about to completely change" and "Things will never be the same again" really mean! And there is no way to really truly prepare for it until you just experience it.

I am so, so glad Wyatt's NICU stay is behind us. Those 7 days were without a doubt the hardest days I've been through (physically and emotionally). It is so wonderful being at home.. just the 3 of us, finally a family =)

I do wish I knew the NICU'S secret as far as keeping newborns on a schedule! It was so crazy seeing his diaper changing, feeding, and sleeping stay on such a regimented schedule! That is not the case anymore. Part of it has to do with the fact that I was really trying to breastfeed him as much as possible because I had planned on nursing exclusively, but of course he was put on bottles/formula in the hospital. I have just not been able to keep his tummy full like the formula does.. i.e. After nursing, he's content for anywhere from 15 minutes to 1 hour MAX. Then we are doing it all over again, and I still have to end up giving him a bottle =/ (Every single nurse in the hospital could NOT believe how much and how vigourously he eats! That was the first thing we heard every morning when we went in to visit him. How did we create such a PIG?) =) Anyways, every feeding includes nursing AND a bottle (2 actually) and then he is good for about 3 hours. Funny how he was at risk for developing "feeding aversion" due to his type of intestine issue! haha That's just one of many answered prayers...

The one thing I have absolutely enjoyed the most is watching Tyler be a Daddy. We all know he knew not a single thing about babies! .... but you would NEVER be able to tell. When they say something "just comes naturally", that could not be more true of him. I haven't had to "teach" him hardly anything. Maybe it was that "New Daddy" class he went to at the hospital ;) It just makes my heart melt watching the 2 of them *sigh*

Our lives have definitely done a complete 180. Gone are our spontaneous outings, full nights of sleep, mini vacations, clean house, .. the list goes on. But we've had all those things for 6.5 wonderful years, and now I am so happy about this new beginning in our lives!

Through the eyes of Wyatt...

Man, this joint is nice! I've got these two people who are tending to my every need. I mean all I have to do is wimper and let out a cry and here they come running. I don't even have to use the bathroom, I just let it rip right here in my pants and... POOF there they are changing my underwear. Oh ya, and my sleeping arrangements are five star!!! I have two cribs, one queen size bed, and two sets of arms to sleep in when ever I want. Time, whats that? Night, day, sleeping routine... what are you talking about? I do whatever I want... whenever I want. Speaking of, I'm feeling a poop come on (fart noise) ahh that's better. Oh and look who it is, that guy whose always changing my underwear, GET TO WORK DAD!!!!


Hanging out in our T's

Check out my dinosaur boppy, cool huh?

So proud of our NICU Graduate!!

1 comment:

Pages

About Me

Hi, I'm Jenna! Wife of 9 years to my high school sweetheart, Tyler, and stay-at-home mama to our 3 year old, Wyatt, and 1 year old foster daughter. I blog about our extra-ordinary days to keep family updated and because I enjoy journaling and documenting the things that bring me joy... faith, family, and friends!

Followers

Designed By:

Munchkin Land Designs Elements by Lisete
 
Designed by Munchkin Land Designs • Copyright 2012 • All Rights Reserved